Weathering models…

I’m posting this here instead of the weathering depot page to show what I believe is my best work to date. This car is an Intermountain HO scale  covered hopper. Originally the car looked like this out of the box:


I then added weathering in one of my early attempts at weathering, and not a very satisfactory job in my eyes. When finished, the car looked like this:



Again, I wasn’t at all satisfied with this car, so decided to re-work the weathering. I found a prototype photo of one of these cars that was now owned by Anderson’s (AEX reporting marks), so there was my starting point.

I first mixed a gray-pink color acrylic paint to repaint the sides and ends. I left the roof weathered as is, and of course the bottom for the time being. In spraying with an airbrush, I allowed a tiny bit of overspray on the hopper outlets. I lightly sprayed the ends of the car, as they already had rust spots and splashes of dirt on them I didn’t want to cover up. So the ends at this point looked so:


As you can see above, I already have patched over the old number and reporting marks. In patching the sides, again I referred to the prototype photo, where this was patched over kind of sloppily with a grey paint. Here’s how the car looked before and after:


Note I haven’t worked on the bottom as yet. That’s next. I first used a lighter color of brown to “streak” more or less the hopper outlets, leaving some pink overspray showing. I then went back with a darker brown and sprayed the bottom of the hopper outlets, the underside of the car, and the bottom part of the ends.

The trucks and wheels were already done, so I didn’t have to rework these, and set them aside. Btw, in between weathering coats, I sealed the car. Next up was applying oils to the top of the roof edges, and top of the car to simulate rust. After this dryed, I applied a rust texture to the top roof edge, and the ribs of the car, then went over this with a rust powder, then blended it all in. The results were so:


Next up after all this was dry, I applied a light gray powder over the car sides (except for the rusted areas), to lighten the car further, and blend it all in. The next step was to apply all the decals, including the graffiti, which is a set from Microscale. After using the setting solution and decal solvent and allowing to dry, I applied the safety stripes from Smokebox Graphics. The last part of the car I did was the reporting marks and numbers on the car ends, which is quite a tedious job cutting these out and placing them. I’d have to say this is the hardest part of any decal work.

in conclusion, I’m now finished with this well detailed car, and am quite happy and satisfied with the results. Here is both sides and both ends of this guy:

One final set of photos of this car. In these, if you zoom in, you can see the rust effects, the rust “bubbles”, plus the peeling paint in the other photo. Pleased with this one!

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.