I’m learning as I go that there is quite a bit of difference between working with and building a solid, one piece 4×8 or 5×10 layout as opposed to building individual modules. For one of course, there are separate frames to deal with. Really then, with separate modules, also means separate pieces of foam, homasote , separate pieces of fascia to apply, etc.
With these separate modules also means lining these up properly to clamp or bolt together, then adjusting the legs to insure they’re level. A lot more work indeed. I’ve found this to be true, that is, a lot more work. Individual frames need to be built. Legs for each module with associated bracing need to be installed. Then individual pieces of foam need to be cut and dropped in/ glued down. Then, individual pieces of fascia need to be cut, attached, and painted.
With the fascia, I learned a lesson about painting fascia, and that is, don’t paint the ends that are being bolted together! The other lesson, or trick learned, is to place and tape wax paper between the modules, so the modules won’t stick permanently together. A lesson I didn’t even think about was even unpainted, the sap in the wood will eventually seep out and cause the modules to stick together. The wax paper also protects any surrounding areas when doing scenery work.
So, when I did the modules, I made the mistake of painting the ends where the modules meet. I did have wax paper in between, but in adjusting the level of the modules several times, and moving these into place, the wax paper got pretty torn and beat up. This morning then, I headed down to the layout, unclamped the modules, pulled each one apart, and cut new wax paper to fit, then taped this back on each end that connects. Photos of this work are shown below. Of course, I had to take up some track sections that crossed between modules.
Next week I’ll get these bolted back together and start soldering track….