Getting closer, and the to do list…

Getting closer to what you may ask? The answer is getting closer to staging a first official operating session with friends. As I slowly inch closer, I put together a to do list or more accurately would be a “must purchase first” list.

On this list are a few items still needed before running my first session. My first item was a circuit protector for the layout from NCE which is now in my hand. The second item is a booster unit from NCE that will enable five throttles to be used. This item is coming next month. Next on the list is one more locomotive which is also coming early next month.

Next is one additional bill box for the car cards (in my website and on the layout car cards and waybills are synonymous). Next up is getting the finished car cards printed. Next on the list is a wall clock, followed up by rubber floor mats, adhesive hooks for the fascia to hang the last items on the list: small clipboards which will hold the car cards/switch lists, and printed instructions for each switch job/turn.

I’m getting closer, so stay tuned….!


  1. Hello Steve I love your Layout and I am going to attempt to build this track plan also, I was just wondering if you had a list of all the track you used? I am a long way from a hobby store so I have to order everything online and from reading your blog I noticed you had to change alot for the layout to work.


    1. Hi Corey, thanks for following the layout! If you have access to the March 2016 Model Railroader, my article with track plan is in there. I don’t have my copy on hand in front of me, so will try to recall what I used. For most of the track I used Micro-Engineering code 83 flex track. I did however have to use some Atlas code 83 sectional track (curves) again to get the plan to fit.
      I used Atlas snap switches for the yard to be able to get all six tracks in, but still had to cut these down at both ends. Two switches I had to use as there wasn’t anything else close to match the curvature I needed in code 83 were two Walther’s code100 curved switches with transition joiners. The switches on both corners are also Atlas snap switches. The remaining switches are Peco. I’ll try to find my copy and post a blog entry on the exact pieces I did use…..


      1. Corey, bear with me as I’m going from memory of building the original layout almost seven years ago. In looking at and thinking of the turnouts in question, I must have used Peco code 100 instead of Walther’s, as both turnouts in question have points that “snap” shut when you throw them…the turnouts are on the left front where the “yard lead” joins the main, and up on the branch around the mountain where the passing siding starts in the curve. Both are curved turnouts…


Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.