The following blog post will cover Campbell Manufacturing, a fictitious industry in Nitro on the Kanawha Secondary.
Established in 1955 by the Campbell family of Ohio, the family took over a vacant factory that had been used during WWI to make ingredients for explosives to be used during that war. The plant had sat vacant since 1918.
With the surge of additional demand for household goods not only from veterans and their families from WWII, but also from recent veterans of Korea, the plant was fully modernized and equipped to build small appliances.
With this production, the plant would require rail service of course which was already in place from the New York Central. Shipments of coil steel and plastic pellets would be required, of course the steel for the main appliance bodies, and plastic for handles, knobs and such. Outbound shipments would leave in both boxcars and trucks.
Business boomed during the fifties and sixties, and still is today. Penn Central now provides the rail service, working the plant five days a week.