On The Workbench

“New” syrup tank cars…

in deciding to change my one industry to a baking company instead of a manufacturing plant, it dawned on me that I didn’t have any syrup tank cars. In looking at prices of cars starting around thirty-five to fourty-five dollars, I came up with another option.

i had an extra chemical tank car plus a molten sulfur car, both of which I didn’t need, especially the molten sulfur car. Both cars were the correct size and capacity for syrup cars.

I took both cars and repainted them in a grimy black. Then I painted the trucks and wheels. I ordered Microscale’s Cargill syrup tank car set for these two. After gloss coating both cars and applying the decals, I then sprayed a light dusting of grey on the cars as weathering. After sealing, these are ready to go to work on the layout.

On the workbench 11/7….

Currently on the workbench includes my Athearn GP9 7466 having the weathering reworked slightly, basically with more dirt added using Vallejo dirt color paint:

Included in the additional weathering was adding some dirt and mud splatter to the pilots and footboards plus fuel tank area.

Also on the workbench are my SOO line boxcar and one of my PC gons. Both had the wheels and trucks painted. I also added some grimy black in a thin spray around the doors and around the lettering as shown. An extra bit of rust spots were also added to the gondola: